Curing Headaches With the Help of a Chiropractor
Headaches are a common ailment that most people are faced with quite frequently in their lifetime. The severity of the headache can range from quite low to extremely painful, sometimes even causing a migraine. Most of the time, at the first sign of a headache a person will go and grab the aspirin bottle and swallow that little pill thinking it will make it all better. However, an underlying cause for recurring headaches may need to be discovered and proper treatment sought to reduce the likelihood of these headaches returning. Chiropractic care is one thing that can help with these persistent aches in your head.
Causes of Headaches
There are many different reasons as to why one may end up with a headache. Oftentimes, loud noises, such as music playing at a high decibel level or children running around and screaming, will produce a headache. One can also get a headache due to something as simple as eating foods high in nitrates, getting inconsistent sleep, or even using drugs or alcohol. All of these things fall under the category of primary headaches. However, there are also more serious reasons why one may get a headache, known to cause secondary headaches, such as:
- High stress- With stress, people often get migraines. Migraines are defined as being painful headaches accompanied by light sensitivity or nausea.
- External compression- This results from wearing headgear that is too tight.
- Sinuses- A sinus headache can be caused by congestion or inflammation.
- Spinal Misalignment- A spinal headache can be brought on by a trauma which causes cerebrospinal fluid to become too low.
- Disease- There are a number of diseases or other illnesses that can cause headaches, like the flu, carbon monoxide poisoning, a stroke, or a tumor.
Assessment Performed By the Chiropractor
If someone is experiencing a headache, they can get themselves over to a chiropractor who can then assess them to see what the headache may have been caused by and how they can help. Questions will be asked to determine how long the person has been having these headaches, how often do they get them, and where exactly the ache is located. An x-ray may also be taken to see what the problem may be caused by. Once the chiropractor has determined what type of specific headache the person has, be it from tension, a migraine, or otherwise, proper treatment can be given.
A chiropractor can not fully treat a headache, but can relieve the symptoms of it. When headaches are caused by things such as disease, there is no way to fully get rid of the problem and keep it from happening. However, the pain can be alleviated by a chiropractor and the “treatment” options he or she suggests. The main way a chiropractor can help with a headache is by doing a spinal adjustment. Most of the time, the headache is caused when the spine is misaligned due to incorrect posture, strain from exercising, or even trauma. A spinal adjustment will lessen the pressure from the misalignment, relieving the pain felt from the headache. Alternative options include:
- Taking an over-the-counter medicine
- Using a hot or cold pack
- Taking a hot shower
- Getting an adequate amount of sleep
- Getting regular exercise
- Stretching out your neck and back
- Removing unnecessary stress from your life
With the use of these options, combined with chiropractic care, pain from a severe headache can be reduced greatly. Seeing your chiropractor often can also help keep your spine in alignment so that certain headaches will no longer appear at all.